An attractive 8 Day drum head Longcase clock with anchor escapement and controlled by a substantial wooden rod compensation pendulum. . The clock case is beautifully rich in mahogany veneer and accented by pierced moldings.
James Ritchie was an apprentice of James howden who, on completion of his apprenticeship took over the workshops of Joseph Durward. He opened his new premises on Leith Street at around 1809 and started what would later become perhaps Scotlands largest clock making company. The business expanded throughout the 19th Century with his son Frederick who was amongst the pioneers of electrical horology, installing the Edinburgh ring to include the time ball and one o clock gun.
This example pre dates Fredericks Involvement in the business and is therefore signed James Ritchie rather than the more often seen "James Ritchie & son"